Child Development and Care GCSE Equivalent
Students at Launchpad will have the opportunity to study Child Development and Care as an option subject. The Level 2 Technical Award in Child Development and Care is a GCSE equivalent qualification.
It gives students the opportunity to gain a vocational qualification that gives a basic introduction to the sector. It is aimed at a range of learners who wish to be introduced to childcare and development of children aged 0-5 years.
What is Launchpad aiming to achieve through its Child Development curriculum?
- To allow students to gain the knowledge and understanding of child development and well-being necessary for working with children in a variety of settings.
- To acquire knowledge of learning styles which will help in own learning and revision techniques
- To develop transferable knowledge and study skills that will support progression to further learning
- To gain an understanding of Equality and Diversity within a workplace
- To pass a level 2 qualification in Child Development and Care
This qualification is a good choice for students who want to gain an understanding of child
development and well-being. This qualification is ideal for students who wish to progress to
further learning in this area, as it supports progression to a broad range of vocational training
courses at Level 2 and above. This course is perfect for the students in this setting as it is mainly coursework based and the learners who opt for this subject do prefer this type of learning style.
Units of study:
1. Unit 1: An introduction to working with young children aged 0-5 years
2. Unit 2: Development and well-being 0-5 years
3. Unit 3: Childcare and Development 0-5 years
Unit 1: An introduction to working with young children aged 0-5 years. This unit is internally assessed by four assignments on provision, practice, responsibilities and learning styles.
Unit 2: Development and well-being 0-5 years. This unit is internally assessed by four assignments on children’s development, observing children, routines and activities.
Unit 3: Childcare and Development 0-5 years. This unit is externally assessed using a paper-based exam marked by CACHE, the external assessment will take 1 hour and is a synoptic assessment which means that the exam will cover all areas that has been assessed in unit 1 and 2
Learners will be able to progress to further relevant level 2 programmes of study or level 3 programmes of study. Learners may also progress to an Apprenticeship route in early years or child care at either level 2 or level 3:
Au Pair, Child Minder, Crèche Worker, Early Years Worker, Early Years Teacher, Learning Assistant, Nanny, Nursery Manager, Nursery Nurse, Nursery Practitioner, Out of Hours Provision Worker, Teaching Assistant